Monday, March 25, 2013

Recipe: Spicy Thai Brown Rice Noodles with Tofu




You will need:
Package of brown rice noodles
Package of organic tofu
1tsp raw honey
1/4 cup chili sesame oil
1/4 cup sesame oil
Sesame seeds
2 shaved carrots 
Fresh cilantro
Green Onion chopped 
1/4 cup peanuts crushed

I took a block of tofu out of the wrapper and drained the excess water.  This is my favorite type of tofu because you don't need to press it to get the water out and make it firm.  I am used to other brands where I let it sit with a cook book on top for a few hours to get the water out (because I am too cheap to buy a tofu press) but with this one you don't need to....so that is awesome.  I won't buy anything else anymore!
Are you starting to see my love affair with Trader Joe's yet?

I cut the tofu block into chunks and put a bit of chili sesame oil and regular sesame oil in a pan to heat up.  Once it was hot, I tossed the tofu in and tried to brown the chunks on all sides.  


I cooked up a box of Brown Rice noodles according to the package instructions.  They cook really fast....in about five minutes.

I then drained them and put them in a large bowl.  Meanwhile, I started to make the sauce.  I put 1/4 cup chili sesame oil in a small sauce pan with 1/4 cup sesame oil, 1 teaspoon raw honey and cooked over medium heat for two mins.  I added this sauce to the drained noodles and mixed it with the tofu.
Small Snippet

On top of the noodles, I then put a lot of fresh green onion (which I have been growing on my window sill from scraps, thanks pinterest!), sesame seeds, lots of fresh cilantro, carrot shavings and some crushed peanuts.  I realized I was out of peanuts, but remembered that we had some from our last flight so I used Southwest peanut packets crushed up as garnish.  Making the most of what I've got!

My husband went back for THIRDS and thanked me twice for making this meal....so I'd chalk this one up as WIN!

1 comment:

  1. Do you think this would work using a lot less oil? We are trying to go oil free. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete