Friday, June 28, 2013

I Say No To Gatorade

I tend to stay away from Gatorade as hydration due to some not so pleasant ingredients and crazy food dyes.

I decided to make my own fuel!  I bought some Coconut Water (Goya) in the Hispanic section of my grocery.  This brand does have some added sugar unlike others, but for a long run, the sugar will help fuel you (just like in Gatorade or a gel).  But you can always use other brands that don't have sugar listed as an ingredient such as Zico or Vita CoCo.

I emptied the can into a large bottle, added two tablespoons of chia seeds, and a splash of grapefruit juice (but you could use any flavor that floats your boat!)

I put the combo into the fridge and let it sit for 30 mins.  You could always prepare the night before a long run.

The chia seeds expand and gel up.  They are no longer crunchy and go down smooth.  It is said that the gelatinous nature of the chia seed helps your body hold hydration.  Scott Jurek, ultra marathoner, loves them.

Supposedly, the Aztecs, Mayans and Incans use chia as a staple of their diet and as an energy food. Chia means “strength” in the Mayan language, and they were known as the “Indian Running Food” because runners and warriors would use them for sustenance  while running long distances or during battle (source).


You could drink before you go!  I haven't tried it in my hand held water bottle yet...so far just coconut water.  The valve is so small on my water bottle, but I'm going to test it out!  

Happy Running!  Stay hydrated my friends!

5 comments:

  1. This is awesome. I love coconut water AND chia...Ive just never thought of mixing the two. I am always interested in trying new fuel and am not into anything artificial. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea with the chia seeds! I'ce gotta try your fancy drink! www.runrideeat.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of those chinese tea drinks.
    Coconut water isn't huge here, so I think I'll just stick with water and the occasional nuun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me know how it works. Still looking for fuel that I can actually tolerate the taste of, so I'd love to try this if it works well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was AWESOME! I've been struggling with feeling sick at my stomach during my runs and this really helped with that. The taste was out of this world! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete